Sweltering heat and hot coffee isn't the best combo. Summertime calls for cooler options when the ¨caffeine time of the day¨ hits you. Luckily for us, Sicilians found a way to incorporate beans into the warm-weather lifestyle by adding a little ice to it.
Do you enjoy ending dinner with an espresso? Do you also love a little something sweet? You can get your coffee and dessert fix with this simple granita recipe.
Using only three basic ingredients, this crunchy, flavorful, and refreshing frozen treat will delight your palate beyond expectations.
- 2 cups hot espresso or other very strong coffee*
- 1/2 cup sugar (white or brown)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Stir the coffee and sugar in a bowl until suggar is disolved
- Pour and stir in the vanilla extract
- Pour the mix into an 8-inch metal baking pan
- Freeze, stirring over 30 minutes for about 1 1/2 hrs
- Transfer mixture to a new bowl and stir with a fork until particles are uniform and similar in texture
- Freeze for about 30 minutes until firm enough to scoop
- Divide granita among serving cups and add topping/s to taste (caramel syrup, ice cream, whipped cream)
*These quantities make 4 servings